To be honest, the first time I heard about mocha chip ricotta cookies I was skeptical.
The thing is, it’s not a common recipe in North America (not in my city at least).
I mean, I’ve tried cream cheese cookies, but not ricotta cookies.
Anway, when I learned it’s an Italian recipe? Just like caprese egg cup sandwich, I couldn’t say no to it.
And hey, spoiler alert? It’s so good!
Especially the mocha chip ricotta cookies version of Lauren Sharifi whose recipe I based this on.
So, without further ado, let’s bake some cookie goodness!
How to make mocha chip ricotta cookies?
Just like most baking recipes, start by preheating the oven to 375ºF.
Prepare the espresso coffee for the mocha. If you have a nespresso or espresso machine, that would be easier. Otherwise measure 3 tbsps of espresso powder and dissolve it in 3 tbsps of hot water.
Now, add the sugar and butter into the stand mixer bowl. Mix until fully incorporated. Oh, by the way, use the paddle attachment for this job.
In the meantime, mix the dry ingredients in a separate mixing bowl—flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
As for the liquid ingredients, you can add it to the mixer once the sugar and butter are completely incorporated.
Then, place the dry ingredients little by little. Continue mixing until fully cohesive.
Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. Using multiple baking sheets will be better as you don’t have to do it by batch.
Using a cookie scoop, portion out the cookie dough into the baking sheet. Make sure that the doughs are evenly spaced; otherwise, they might stick together.
Place in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
Once done baking, bring it out of the oven and let it cool for 20 minutes before placing the glaze.
Speaking of which, prepare the glaze while it’s cooling down. Luckily, this is as easy as adding and mixing all ingredients together. You don’t even need a machine for this.
Anyway, add the glaze components to a bowl and mix well. It should have a runny yet sticky consistency (like honey). If it’s not liquidy after adding the lemon juice, add water little by little.
Pour it into the cookies and use a spoon to spread or drizzle the glaze. Let the glaze harden for about an hour or two.
Finally, enjoy your indulgent dessert/snack.
Instead of glaze, you can also just use the icing sugar topping to the cookie and add some mini chocolate chips just like Lauren did. I just realized it looks nicer (after making it) than the traditional glazed for a dark-colored cookie.
Mocha Chip Ricotta CookiesCourse: Snacks, DessertCuisine: Italian, AmericanDifficulty: Easy
Mocha Chip Ricotta cookies are based on an Italian cookie recipe. It’s an excellent dessert that’s a “break from tradition” western cookies. Basically, it tastes lovely.
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1¾ cups sugar
1 15-oz container low-fat ricotta
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons worth of espresso
1 lemon worth of zest
2 cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups icing sugar
1-2 lemon worth of juice
1 lemon worth of zest
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- In a stand mixer bowl, add the sugar and butter. Using the paddle attachment mix until thoroughly combined.
- Then, you can add the ricotta, eggs, vanilla extract, espresso, and lemon zest and mix again.
- In a different bowl, combine the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Then, add it into the mixer bowl a few portions at a time. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Line your baking sheet(s) with parchment paper. Scoop out the cookie dough using a cookie scoop onto the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Then, remove it from the oven and let it cool at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- While cooling, you can prepare the glaze. In a mixing bowl, add the glaze ingredients and mix until it has a runny consistency (add water when necessary).
- Spoon about ½ teaspoon of glaze onto each cookie and let the glaze harden for about an hour or two.
- Serve and Enjoy!
- Recipe inspired by Lauren Sharifi.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?